BRATS Support Network & Discussion Forum  

Go Back   BRATS Support Network & Discussion Forum > Growing Up BRAT > BRAT Families

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default BRAT Families

Not all BRAT families are the same, but they are different from rooted families. Everything is saturated with their particular BRAT culture (military, missionary, government service) the family structure, vocabulary, the way they communicate, even the responsibilities of each member, and their view of the world. BRATS leave these environments with a unique set of values, strengths, and vulnerabilities.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 PM

We were a tough family, raised by my Mother. Dad was gone most of the time. Even my little sister was tough, although she adapted better post brat. Dad retired, stayed in one place when she entered high school. We didn't realize we were different until later in adult life. Only started talking about it when we were in our 40's. My wife gained a partial understanding of the Brat existence during my active duty years....we moved 5 times in 7 years. To this day, people do not understand eagerness to keep moving on. Maybe those of who have no homes are destined to keep looking for one.

GCH