BRATS Support Network & Discussion Forum  

Go Back   BRATS Support Network & Discussion Forum > Growing Up BRAT > Integration & Tolerance

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM

I think we knew who's kids were officers kids and who was enlisted but I don't think we cared. Things might have been a bit different for us as we weren't on a "base" being that Berlin was an occupied city. We had the BB (Berlin Brigade) pool and the pool at Andrews Barracks, which was used for a previous Olympics. We used whichever was convenient. We had friends that were geeks, jocks, stoners, loners, gay, straight, black, white and 'other'. We were slightly confined due to the placement of a large wall, so we couldn't exactly go and meet people from other towns. We had very few fights and even less animosity towards each other. We might have been too busy making the German Polizei crazy....
Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 PM

I moved from Germany to Alabama the same year George Wallace made his infamous 1963 stand in the schoolhouse door at the University of Alabama. When they integrated the high school I attended it was a big deal for all the locals.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:03 AM

Default seperation

Yes, class separation (based on rank) is on purpose and well defined. We all played with the other kids, despite the rank, but we all knew who the officer's kids were (and in my case, wasn't!). As for race, I guess I didn't see it that much on base and only really got hit with it when we finally came back to the States (this, after 16 years of living overseas, then moving to Tennessee). What was even more amazing was the way that many people within the different races played up the race card.

As for integration, coming from being on a military base where every stranger had a friend within a week of moving on post, it was extremely difficult to break into the "clicks" that were years in the making. I guess that was one of the most glaring differences between growing up BRAT and not,
Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to tannerblackart Send a message via MSN to tannerblackart

I can remember having certain clicks in school in Germany, but I can say for sure that none of it was due to skin color. Going from a DoDDs school with 350 kiddos to a school with 3500 kids and racially charged gangs was not a good transition.

I know that at the beginning of this thread there was a statement about this environment having an impact upon our own individual cultural backgrounds. It has certainly had an impact on mine. My parents do not understand why I dont follow or embrace my heritage. It is because I was raised as an American on an American base overseas- not a hispanic, german, italian, polish, or (insert favorite culture here) american raised here in this country.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Yup,
I remember that there was no racial tension on any of the posts or bases we were on. What rank your parent was made the difference. My mom had real issues when I started dating the son of a Noncom. (my first boyfriend) So of course there was some rebelling. We had so many kids on Patch Barracks from '69-'72. There were 24 kids in my stairwell alone. That's 6 families!
Patch Barracks had a rather laid back atmosphere until the Bader-Meinhoff gang started their bombing runs on NCO clubs. After that, all gates were closed and permanently pad locked except the front gate. Mirrors on rollers and thorough searches of each and every vehicle coming on post changed everything. That was the only time I ever felt scared and insecure on a military post